Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Gingerbread


BROWN GINGERBREAD MEN

(Makes 30 ornaments)

1c Sugar

6T Shortening

2t Baking soda

2t Cloves, ground

2t Ginger

2t Cinnamon

7c Flour

1c Water

1/2c Molasses

2T Cocoa powder

Mix shortening and 1 cup of sugar together in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate for 4-hours.

Roll dough out on floured surface of wax paper to 1/4-inch thickness. Poke a hole in the top of each cookie with a straw, knife, chopstick, pencil, or similar object.

Put cutouts on cookie sheet and bake 20-minutes in 325-degree oven. After 20-minutes, turn oven off, leaving cookies inside oven to continue the drying process. After 1-hour, move cookies to a rack and allow to sit untouched for 1-3 days or until completely dry and hard.

When cookies are dry, spray with clear acrylic paint or brush with clear varnish and allow cookie coating to dry completely.

***My dough was extremly dry so I added a little more water and Molasses. I also decorated my ornaments with Tulip paint. For other recipies and decorating ideas check out this link.

If you are interested in the crayon bag from my last post please e-mail me at jessaleelangford@hotmail.com. I would love to make you one or share some tips with you so you can make your own.


No comments: